Golden Valley Health Center
Patient Portal User
Terms and Conditions
Valid as of 2015
The Golden Valley Health Center NextMD Patient Portal is not intended to replace an office visit. Messages that require immediate medical attention should not be sent through the patient portal. Patients should contact their provider’s office regarding any urgent medical matters. If the patient is having a health related emergency they should be directed to call 911.
Important Information Regarding the Patient Portal
- Golden Valley Health Center (GVHC) NextMD Patient Portal may from time to time include information posted by Golden Valley Health Center in the form of news, opinions, or general educational materials that should not be construed as specific medical advice or instruction from Golden Valley Health Center.
- Information within GVHC NextMD Patient Portal is not intended to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment. The information posted by Golden Valley Health Center on the Patient Portal should not be considered complete, nor should it be relied on to suggest a course of treatment for a particular individual.
- DO NOT use the Golden Valley Health Center’s (GVHC) NextMD Patient Portal to communicate (i) an emergency, or (ii) an urgent issue.
Proper Subject Matter:
- Use GVHC NextMD Patient Portal messaging for non-urgent medical related questions, lab results, selected reports, appointment reminders, and medication lists.
- Use GVHC NextMD Patient Portal to update your patient demographic information. Patients must be sure that all information they enter is true, accurate, complete, and updated whenever there is a change. Patients are responsible for updating their contact information and e-mail address as soon as there are changes.
- Patients must also note that changes to their demographic information on the patient portal are not directly reflected in the health center’s electronic health records system. Patients must notify the health center of any demographic changes as soon as these changes are made.
- Be concise when typing a message.
Golden Valley Health Center NextMD Patient Portal Features
*Additional components and features will be available in the future enhancements of the Patient Portal.
Homepage: Allows patients to view selected components of their medical record. Patients can also make suggestions on how Golden Valley Health Centers can improve the site. (Please contact Patient Portal Support to do so.)
My Chart: Allows patients to view information entered into core parts of their electronic health record (e.g. allergies, medication lists, and visit history, etc.). These are available for patients to review and check for accuracy as well as email or print for other providers or to keep for their own records. If needed, patients may obtain a full copy of their electronic health record by contacting the Medical Records Department.
*Note: Certain documents will not be available for viewing via Patient Portal at this time.
Labs: Allows patients to view their normal lab results. *Note: Patient physician or care team will contact you regarding any abnormal lab results.
Medications: Allows patients to view their current and past home medications entered by your provider or clinical staff.
Appointments: Allows patients to view upcoming appointments. The appointment section does not include appointments patients may have at another facility or at private practitioners’ office. Patients will need to contact that practitioner for appointment information.
My Account: Contains patient’s demographic information, insurance and personal contacts. Allows to view and change to patient information.
*Note: Personal demographics changed on the Patient Portal will not be directly reflected in the health center’s electronic health records (EHR). Please contact the clinic for these changes to EHR.
Patient Communication Policy
It is important to note that email and text communication is not always secure. Email and text messages can be intercepted and for this reason, Golden Valley Health Center does not communicate personal health information through these methods. Golden Valley Health Center will never ask for account information, credit card numbers, or personal information via email or text message. If you think you may have received a suspicious email or text from Golden Valley Health Center, please contact us at 1-866-682-4842.
*Golden Valley Health Center Text Message System. Message and data rates may apply. By participating, you consent to receive text messages sent by an automatic telephone dialing system. Messages per month vary based on appointments scheduled. Consent to these terms is not a condition of purchase.
All communications concerning your personal health information carry some level of risk. While the likelihood of risk using the Patient Portal is greatly reduced, there are risks for you to understand.
- All messages sent to you in GVHC NextMD Patient Portal will be encrypted.
- Communication via GVHC NextMD Patient Portal will be included in your permanent medical record.
- Emails from you to any staff member should be through GVHC NextMD Patient Portal or they are not secure.
- All email address lists are kept confidential and such lists will not be shared with other parties, unless necessary to follow through with Patient Portal Operations (e.g. system upgrades to the portal) or required by law.
- At no time will staff send clinical information to the patient outside of the patient portal, our 2-way communication secure messaging system.
- A variety of healthcare and administrative personnel (such as nurse practitioners, physician assistants, registered nurses, certified medical assistants, clerks, etc…) will be involved in reading, processing, and replying to your messages and information submitted GVHC NextMD Patient Portal (similar to how phone communication is handled).
- There is no need to notify us that you have read a message, unless you have a question or need further information.
- If patients have any concerns, they may contact the Medical Records Department.
- We will not answer questions or send protected health information by regular email.
- Even with these security measures, we cannot guarantee the confidentiality, security, or integrity of Patient Portal information.
Patient’s Portal Responsibilities
The patient portal serves as an online tool for patients to access their health information and to track appointments, medication, and reminders. To provide patients with the best quality care possible through the patient portal it is a collaborative effort of both the provider and patient. In addition to the services, rights, and privileges patients have at Golden Valley Health Center, patients are also requested to adhere to the following portal “patient responsibilities” to ensure a successful partnership and quality health care services. For information to be made available to you through the patient portal please consider the following:
- Access to this secure Patient Portal is an optional service, and any inappropriate use by the patient or their representative may result in suspension or termination at any time. GVHC staff do not have liability or responsibility to any patient or user for their inability to access the patient portal. If service is suspended or terminated, we will notify you as promptly as we reasonably can.
- In addition to patient portal communication, the patient may also be asked to contact us by telephone or in person at any time.
- By logging onto the patient portal, you agree to all terms and conditions of the Patient Portal Consent and User Agreement. GVHC may amend or rescind its Patient Portal Consent and User Agreement at any time without prior notice. GVHC has the right to determine how its Patient Portal Consent and User Agreement apply in a given situation, and its determination will be final and non-reviewable.
- Portal access is available 24 hours and 7 days a week via internet access. Excluding days of service interruption for maintenance, upgrades, or emergency repairs related to events beyond the health center’s control, which may result in the patient portal bring unavailable without prior notice.
- Patients are encouraged to use the patient portal at any convenient time for them. However, messages submitted after hours are held for GVHC until staff return the next business day and a reply may be expected with one (1) business day and no later than three (3) business days.
- If you receive access to the health care information which is not yours, you must immediately stop viewing such information and notify the GVHC via secure message on the patient portal or by calling GVHC at 1-866-682-4842.
- Disclaimer: Golden Valley Health Center has a policy to act upon disruptive or threatening messages through our patient portal secure messaging system. We recognize that it is our responsibility to respond to your questions and concerns. However, if there is verbal abuse, threatening messages, inappropriate messages, and/or images that are not medical related you will be warned, temporarily suspended, or terminated from your patient portal. We do this for the interest of assuring and providing a comfortable environment for both our patients and staff.
- Provide completed and accurate medical information to your provider, care team, and case worker including previous medical history and medication.
- In the settings options to the top right corner of your portal homepage, provide any changes of address, telephone number, emergency contacts. NOTE: Changes to your personal information on the patient portal will not directly reflect in the electronic health records at Golden Valley Health Center. Changes to your email address should be done in-clinic.
- Be involved in your healthcare with your provider, your care team, and Golden Valley Health Center staff. Through patient portal secure messaging, send questions to your care team to fully understand your care.
- Follow treatment advice given by your care team through your portal reminders and/or your portal secure messaging system.
- Be courteous when sending email messages to your provider and/or care team.
- Please allow providers and our care team 3 business days to respond to your requests.
Personal Health Records (PHR)
Please note that while PHR frequently updates its content, medical information does not change rapidly and it is possible that some information may be out of date. It is also important to note that updating your personal information regularly and submitting appropriate documents to be uploaded will assist Golden Valley Health Center bring better quality of care to you. When accessing the patient portal, GVHC staff are not responsible for security infractions that result from the user’s failure to follow security measures Examples of situations where Golden Valley Health Center is not liable for your Personal Health. When you, as the patient:
- Step away from your electronic device and leave your account unsupervised and logged on. We also suggest to not save your password or username to the website when prompted by your electronic device.
- Leave your electronically accessed information in a public area unsupervised.
- Forget or leave printed Personal Health Records in areas outside of Golden Valley Health Center’s medical exam rooms.
- Leave downloaded files on a public device.
- After you have obtained access to your patient portal, your portal settings are set by you, the patient, to fit your personal needs. Please notify your care team if you will need assistance with the “Settings” feature.Helpful things to keep in mind include:
- Do not store, send, or access messages on your employer-provided computer or hand-held device. Personal information may be accessible by your employer.
- Use a screen saver, safety lock your screens, or close your messages so that other nearby cannot read them.
- Keep your username and password safe and private.
- If you believe someone has discovered your password, promptly change it using the steps outlined in the patient portal.
- Golden Valley Health Centers suggest that you never use a public computer or kiosk to access the patient portal. In the case that you do, remember to remove all material relating to your portal access. (i.e. downloaded material, saved passwords, etc.)
Keeping messages secure depends on two additional factors: (a) the secure message must reach the correct email address, and (b) the authorized individual must be able to get access to it. You, as the patient will be able to make sure these two factors are present. You can do this by:
- Providing your correct email address
- Inform us of any changes to your email address
- Keep track of who has access to your Patient Portal account, so that only you or someone you have authorized can view your information.
- Protect your Patient Portal login information from anyone whom you do not want to access your Patient Portal account
- Notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your login information or if you believe that your login is no longer confidential.
- Do not answer questions or send protected health information by regular email.
Portal Login Information Responsibility
Golden Valley Health Center Staff will never ask you for your username and password to your Patient Portal account. You, as the patient, are responsible for keeping your login information safe and secure from unauthorized users.
- After agreeing to the Patient Portal Terms and Conditions, a “Welcome Message” email will be sent to your personal email. The email will provide the patient with a link to the portal login page. If they have not received an email from Golden Valley Health Center with three (3) business days, patients may contact GVHC at 1-866-682-4842.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to respond to email inquiries within one (1) working business day, but no later than three (3) working business days after receiving the message. Response time may be longer if Golden Valley Health Centers Patient Portal service is interrupted for holidays, maintenance, upgrades, or emergency repairs related to events beyond the health center’s control. In this respect, patients agree not to hold GVHC, its physician practices, physicians, providers, or any of its staff, in any way liable or responsible for such modification, suspension, or disruption of the GVHC Patient Portal.
- Golden Valley Health Center Patient Portal is checked during the hours of operation.
- If secure messaging is not accessible for any reason, patients may contact GVHC at 1-866-682-4842. Messages will be returned within one (1) business day, but no later than three (3) business days, after receipt.
Patient Portal Request
To request access to Golden Valley Health Center’s NextMD Patient Portal patients can visit the nearest GVHC site. The patient must be at least twelve (12) years of age to register. All patients must show provide of identity and provide a personal e-mail address. After a patient has been verified an 8-digit token, also known as their portal activation code, will be given to the patient to complete their GVHC NextMD Patient Portal enrollment.
How to Enroll
- Be physically present at a Golden Valley Health Center clinic and be able to show proof of identity.
- Provide staff with a valid personal e-mail address.
- Retrieve an 8-digit token/access code from the front office staff.
- An email with a link to the enrollment page will be sent to patient’s personal email.
- The patient will follow the link or enter https://www.nextmd.com/index.aspx?link=GVHCmyportal into the web address bar, select enroll now and review the Patient Portal User Agreement and electronically submit the agreement by selecting Accept. By selecting ”Accept” patients are indicating that they have read and fully understood the User Agreement, therefore creating an electronic signature of acceptance.
- The patient will enter the 8-digit token, a personal e-mail address, same as the one updated in GVHC’s electronic health record, and a birth date to enter into the enrollment page.
- Patients will be prompted to provide their personal information and be asked to create a username, password and supply two security questions.
- After the enrollment is completed a welcome email will be send to the patient’s personal email & the portal will be ready for access.
By going to https://www.nextmd.com/index.aspx?link=GVHCmyportal, the patient can select the link labeled as “Need help with your user name and password?” Patients will then have three options to choose from to recover access to their patient portal.
- Option 1: Supply a user name and then answer a security question.
- Option 2: Enter your personal information to locate your account.
- Option 3: Supply an e-mail address and a password reset token given by GVHC staff. Note: Proof of verification must be done in person to retrieve another 8-digit token/activation code.
Individuals requesting access must have parental rights or legal guardianship rights. Individuals age 18 or older may request caregiver access to another individual’s Patient Portal account by completing the “Patient Portal Caregiver Access Request Form” and submitting it to Golden Valley Health Center. Caregiver access to an adult patient’s NextMD Patient Portal account may be granted with dual consent of both the patient and the Caregiver. If the adult patient is present and their identity can be verified by photo I.D, the form may be fully completed and submitted to GVHC front office staff during the time of fulfillment. Caregiver access may be granted to the legal guardian or medical power of attorney of an adult disabled patient with accompanying legal documents. A patient portal 8-digit activation code will be available for both the caregiver and the patient. If the caregiver’s legal relationship with the patient changes, the caregiver must inform the health center immediately by calling Golden Valley Health Centers at 1-866-682-4842.
A patient 18 years of age or older will have the right to terminate any caregiver access anytime they please, unless otherwise stated by legal documentation. Before the minor’s 12th birthday all parent(s)/guardian(s) and caregiver access will end absent a valid court order and/or proof from a specialist or physician stating extreme health incapacities or mental retardation.
References to minors between the ages of 12-17 are inclusive.
By California State Law, patients between the ages of 12-17 have the right to their own private information and they do not need to share with their parent/guardian. According to GVHC Policy individuals must be age 18 or older to request a GVHC NextMD Patient Portal account. Parents or guardians of children may request access to the child’s account by following the terms outlined in the “Patient Portal Caregiver Access Request Form” section. At Golden Valley Health Center there will be no caregiver authorization for minor children between the ages of 12 and 17. In the case for emancipated minors, a court order must be presented as proof before a caregiver authorization can be approved. Exemptions are given to patients ages 12-17 if there is legal documentation provided by court or legal documentation from a provider or a specialist proving severe mental disabilities or mental retardation of the patient, rendering it impossible for the patient to make clear health care decisions on their own.
Please notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your login information or if you believe that your login or password is no longer confidential or has been stolen.
Thank you for choosing Golden Valley Health Centers as your Primary Care Provider.
Golden Valley Health Center Main Campus
737 W. Childs Ave. Merced, CA 95341
Golden Valley Health Center Appointment Line: